Though I am a whole week late to follow up on it, I feel the need to mention Ghana's Independence Day, which took place on March 6th.
I found out that there was going to be an independence parade in Accra that I really wanted to attend. Since Accra is the capital of Ghana, this was the main independence day celebration in the country. The event hosted all of Ghana's leading figures, from traditional rulers, to military, to the President of Ghana. I even got to listen to the President deliver a speech which I was really excited about!
I am writing for a school newspaper that some international students are starting up at the University of Ghana, and I wrote about the Independence Day parade for my first article. I was pretty stoked that for my first article ever I was taking notes on a presidential speech!
All in all, I am really glad that I was able to experience Ghana's Independence Day in the heart of all the action. It was cool to see the level of patriotism that a lot of Ghanaians have. It was only the 55th anniversary of the country's independence, so I found the day to be a lot more meaningful than any Independence Day I've ever experienced.
Ironically, I went out with my British friends later that night, but that's another story...
No comments:
Post a Comment